STERLING SILVER VS. STAINLESS STEEL
7 REASONS WHY WE PREFER STAINLESS STEEL
Stainless steel or Sterling silver. The debate has probably existed since the dawn of man – or at least since Harry Brearley from Sheffield, UK added just the right amount of chromium to molten iron and thereby invented the stainless steel in 1913.
More than a hundred years have gone by since then but somehow the discussion seems just as relevant today as ever. However, here at Demanic there’s no question about it, and all though we are quite fond of Silver, we are actually in no doubt whatsoever when it comes to choosing between the two equally dazzling but very different metals for our jewelry. Here’s the reason why:
1) Stainless Steel can be designed to mimic sterling silver but it is far more durable than silver.
2) Stainless steel will not dent or get scratched like sterling silver. The chromium in the alloy makes it impervious to oxidation too. Even if you wear it every single day, it will retain its luster and look as good as new a year later.
3) Stainless steel has the unique ability to self heal. Chromium in the steel allows for the formation of chromium oxide film (invisible to the eye) on its surface. When damage occurs, this layer is activated by oxygen within the air or water, activating the self healing properties.
4) There is an array of beautiful finishes in stainless steel jewelry nowadays. It can be made to resemble white gold, sterling silver or be plated with rose gold or yellow gold. You can essentially get the look of any precious metal jewelry at the fraction of the price.
5) Silver is – only due to its rareness – a lot more expensive than Stainless Steel , which basically means that you will get a much better product (lasting for a much longer time) at a much lower cost if you go with Stainless Steel.
6) Stainless Steel is 100% recyclable and is not coated with any toxic material making it the preferred material of green builders throughout the world because of it’s impact on the environment as compared to other materials. Even if it didn’t find it’s way to the recycling plant it would not have an negative effect on the soil or waterways.
7) Regardless of what anyone might say, Stainless Steel is simply a more masculine choice than Silver and therefore perfectly suitable for Male jewelry.
So there you have it. The facts have clearly spoken and we’ve got ourselves a winner.